Crusader King 3 is a great strategy game. With the release of the game, many gamers jumped on the first day to play, unfortunately bugs like Crusader Kings 3 Crashing at Startup and Won’t Launch prevent them from playing the game.
At this point, you should notice that previous versions of the game have similar issues, but one of the most obvious reasons for the game to crash or fail to start is your antivirus or Windows Defender. It tends to hinder the game.
Stay with us and we’ll help you solve errors like Crusader Kings 3 crashes on startup, won’t fire and FPS falls.
Some players have reported crashes with an error that says “Unable to create playback background” every time they try to launch Crusader Kings 3 on Forums. For some, the game doesn’t even start. While we wait for the developers to release a patch, there are a few steps you can try to fix it.
Fix Crusader Kings 3 Crashing at Startup and Won’t Launch
Before implementing fixes to solve the Error, must verify that your system meets the minimum requirements to run the Crusader Kings 3 game. If all system requirements are met and you still see the error, you can proceed with the fixes.
Here are the Crusader Kings 3 System Requirements (Minimum)
- CPU: Intel® iCore™ i5-750 or Intel® iCore™ i3-2120, or AMD® Phenom™ II X6 1055T
- RAM: 4 GB
- OS: Windows® 8.1 64 bit or Windows® 10 Home 64 bit
- VIDEO CARD: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460, or AMD® Radeon™ R7 260X or AMD® Radeon™ HD 6970, or Intel® Iris Pro™ 580
- PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
- VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
Crusader Kings 3 Recommended Requirements
- CPU: Intel® iCore™ i5- 4670K or AMD® Ryzen™ 5 2400G
- RAM: 8 GB
- OS: Windows® 10 Home 64 bit
- VIDEO CARD: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 1650
- PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
- VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4096 MB
The developers of Crusader Kings 3 are already aware of this issue and have recommended some fixes themselves. A user named Rivve posted about this issue on forums. This is what one of the developers said about this.
Thanks for submitting your issue.
Could you please try the following and let me know if it resolves the issue?
- Verify integrity of your game files on Steam.
- Update your drivers, and make sure it’s the latest version
- Update your Windows OS. and make sure it’s the latest version
Fix 1: Disable the Antivirus or Windows Defender Completely
Disable your antivirus or Windows Defender and try to run the game. If the game works, then you should set an exception for the game in the respective antivirus as you can keep the security software disabled for a long time.
Windows Virus & Threat Protection
- Press Windows Key + I and select Update & Security
- Click on Windows Security, select Virus & Threat Protection
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, click on Manage settings
- Locate Exclusions by scrolling down, click on Add or remove exclusions
- Click on Add an exclusion and select Folder
- Browse the CK3 folder and set the exclusion.
Fix 2: Verify Integrity of Crusader Kings 3 Game Files
If the game itself is corrupt then this could also cause it to crash on startup or CK3 crash in the middle of the game. Here are the steps to check and repair corrupted files on Steam.
- Launch the Steam client From LIBRARY,
- Right-click on Crusader Kings III and select Properties
- Go to local files and click on Verify game files
Fix 3: Update Your PC or Laptop Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics card driver is causing crashes in the game. Keep all drivers and software on the system up to date. First of all, update your graphics card drivers and check if Crusader Kings 3 crashes on startup or in-game.
Here are the links of Nvidia and AMD drivers.
Hopefully, the above solutions solved the Crusader Kings 3 Crashing issue on Startup and it won’t start the game. If these don’t work for you then you can submit a ticket to the support or you can post your issue on the official Crusader Kings 3 Forums.